Thursday 1 November 2012

Parties - from Gloria Gaynor to electrofunk


I’ve never seen my best friend look quite so stunned. It was her birthday and instead of walking into Carluccio’s for a quiet dinner with her husband she was greeted instead by a noisy crowd of family and friends. “I had no idea,” she kept saying over and over again – completely staggered that we’d pitched up from all over the place to celebrate her big day.

For some reason I’ve been to lots of birthday parties recently. Some have been very posh – one was in a marquee, complete with speeches and a fancy menu – while my favourite was held at a working-men’s club in Lancashire, with hot pot and mash and a live band.

But right now I’m agonising over my daughter’s 21st and my son’s 18th.  They want to throw a joint bash but can’t decide on the venue, let alone the music (electrofunk or blues) or the guest list. But one thing I do know is that it will be very different to my own 21st, a very sedate affair in Dorset. My dad ordered a keg of beer, we played Gloria Gaynor nonstop on my mum’s old tape recorder and most of my friends slept under the stars.

The one thing I won’t be doing is consulting Pippa Middleton’s new book for party tips. The Duchess of Cambridge's younger sister has come in for a lot of stick following the publication of Celebrate, which she was paid £400,000 to write. I haven’t got a copy but I sneaked a look at Waterstone’s and while the photography (by David Loftus) is stunning, the words leave a lot to be desired. I don’t want to be mean, because Pippa sounds lovely, but they’re along the lines of “tea bags should go in a teapot, rather than individually in mugs” and “flowers are a traditional Valentine’s token and red roses are the classic symbol of romance.”

No wonder a spoof Twitter account called @Pippatips has attracted 9,000 followers. Recent @Pippatips tweets include “a good way to keep warm when heading out into the cold weather is to wear winter clothing like jumpers and coats and hats” and “save time by doing things more quickly.” Take a look – it’s hilarious.

7 comments:

  1. Hopefully not electrofunk or blues although not entirely sure what electrofunk is!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also thank you for the link to Pippa Middleton's spoof Twitter account - so funny!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. And I don't know what electrofunk is either! x

      Delete
  3. Can't help with the music choice for your son and daughter's joint party, but would like to thank you for the link to @Pippatips. Hilarious! Am now off to put on a jumper because heating is on low. Talk about re-inventing the wheel....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the @Pippatips link, Henri. They deserve a book of their own, I reckon.

      Delete
  4. Whatever you do it'll be different to my 21st. I was 6 months pregnant and having spent quiet day out in Derbyshire with OH we decided at the last minute to go into Nottingham to see a Terry Scott farce at the Playhouse. Probably the last time we had the chance to do anything so spontaneously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a very memorable 21st, Mary. I think I saw a Terry Scott farce in Bournemouth once. A very long time ago!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...